Fight The Frizz: How To Combat Unruly Summer Hair
By Lauren Thompson
Although we love the beautiful warm weather and breaking out the springtime dresses, there is one thing that drives us all CRAZY about spring & summer months, and that is FRIZZY HAIR! Since we cannot avoid the humidity and the awful effects it has on our hair, we can learn to combat it. Coming from someone with naturally curly, frizzy hair, dealing with frizz has been a lifetime battle. These are some tricks that work best for me.
Moisture is KEY
For those of you with naturally curly hair like myself, we are more prone to frizz. The products we use and the way we style our hair are crucial for keeping our hair looking good. Curly hair needs moisture because it is more porous. To keep the moisture in, brush your hair with a wide-tooth comb when it’s soaking wet and squeeze the excess out with your hands. Whatever you do, DO NOT rub your hair with a towel- this creates more frizz!
The best conditioners for moisture are the Oribe Moisture Masque and the MoroccanOil Hydrating Mask. After washing your hair, it is crucial to use a hydrating styling creme. The MoroccanOil Hydrating Styling Creme or the Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Creme are seriously awesome. For extra curly hair, try the Oribe Curl by Definition Creme. It helps the curls to form together. Using about a quarter size amount, work through your hair, combing it with a wide tooth comb. From there, you can let it air dry or use a diffuser on your blowdryer.
TIP: Stay away from mousse or alcohol-based products: they will dry out your hair and therefore create more frizz!
Embrace Your Curls!
For curly-haired chicks, this will be your NEW go-to style for Spring & Summer. For a more polished looking curl, go through your hair with a small curling iron [after your hair dries]. This is my favorite trick because it keeps the curl looking natural. The best iron for this is the Hot Tools 1″ or 5/8″ iron, depending on how tight your natural curl is [for tighter curls, use a smaller iron]. Don’t know where to begin? Section the hair out starting at the bottom and work towards the top. Taking small, vertical sections, curl the hair around the iron with the wire of the iron tilted toward the ceiling. Hold for 5 seconds and release. After curling is complete, rake through it with your fingers. To finish the look, use a good hairspray to give it more hold. Why try to fight the humidity? Just go BIG!
If you’re not a fan of curls, an alternative option is to get a Brazilian blowout or Keratin treatment. Both smooth the hair by applying a solution, blowdrying it into the hair and then locking it in with a flat iron. These treatments completely fight the frizz without taking the volume out of your hair the way a Japanese Straightening Treatment would. The Keratin Treatment lasts about 4 months, depending on how often you wash your hair. If you are going to get the Keratin, here’s a tip: only do the treatment once a year (Spring/Summer time), so by the time Winter rolls around, it’s all out. Can’t afford to get the Keratin? You’re in luck! At-home, 30-day Keratin treatments are now in the market from companies like Organix.
Best Products to Block the Frizz
- Best Pre-Blowdrying: MoroccanOil or Hydrating Styling Creme
- Best Frizz-Fighting Brush: Medium-sized, Natural Boar Bristle Brush. This brush is perfect for Blowdrying. It helps pull the hair with more tension to smooth it and give it shine.
- Best Post-Blowdrying: Oribe Soft Lacquer Spray. Apply this product after blowdrying. To get out the frizz, use a flat iron by going through the hair in smaller sections starting at the bottom and working up. The product is a great heat-styling spray that helps coat the hair, while delivering high shine. Only use a quick misting then straighten with the flat iron.
- Best Hairsprays for All Hair Types: Oribe Superfine Hairspray or Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray. You can’t go wrong with some extra hold, especially when it has a humidity blocker built-in.
- Best Spray for Limp Hair: Oribe Dry Texture Spray. This is the best spray for the hair that tends to fall completely flat in humid weather. The Dry Texture Spray boosts the volume by adding more texture.